Friday, July 20, 2012

Clorox Wipes Container holds Toilet Paper!

The dreaded day has finally come....its my first camping trip with a baby and I have to say I am completely terrified! So many things to figure out and since we haven't been since last summer I knew our camping tote was going to be a mess to say the least. I knew I was going to have to par down to accommodate all the new baby gear we would need to make it four days. We have one 45 Gal. tote that we haul the majority of our stuff in with smaller shoe boxes inside to keep things organized. The very first Shoe box I opened was a mess with toilet paper. Half used rolls, rolls covered in sand and dirt, and squished rolls. There had to be a better and smaller way to store these... The hunt was on!


Remember this guy from my last post that I actually gave up on. It looked strangely tempting. Would a roll of  t.p. fit in here? Well obviously or I wouldn't be writing this post right! So I pulled it out and took all the plastic bags and got a couple of the squished t.p. rolls out. At first I wanted to cut a long slit in the side to pull the t.p. through but quickly found while two rolls fit, it was so tight they would never actually roll. Then I remembered this post I saw about making your own baby wipes! I could take the cardboard out of the center and have it come through the top!






I started by removing the parts of the wipe container that were made to hold the wipes so you could get one at a time. It left me with what you can see at the left. I just used a pair of kitchen shears to do this. The plastic was fairly flexible so it was easy to trim out the parts.










Then I grabbed one of the squished rolls of toilet paper and worked the cardboard roll out of the center. This took me more time than expected and I found that the roll being squished actually helped matters! The tissue was also stuck to the cardboard roll so it came out like butter!. A tip here is to go slow and be gentle.





I gently squished the roll into the wipes container and repeated the process for the other roll. I do have to say I'm not sure this would work with the extra large rolls of toilet paper because they are so much bigger. We use the cheap stuff because it biodegrades quicker. I just put on the lid after this and admired my handy dandy work. Now the t.p. was squish protected, water resistant, and I wouldn't have half used rolls taking up all sorts of space! Our t.p.stash went from taking up a double shoe box to this small container!



No comments:

Post a Comment